Thursday, May 8, 2008

Toni Morrison speaks about Clinton and Obama

In a recent issue of TIME magazine, Toni Morrison was asked 10 questions, two of which relating to Clinton and Obama. Here's what she had to say...

Do you regret referring to Bill Clinton as the first black President?
"People misunderstood that phrase. I was deploring the way in which President Clinton was being treated, vis-à-vis the sex scandal that was surrounding him. I said he was being treated like a black on the street, already guilty, already a perp. I have no idea what his real instincts are, in terms of race."

Why did you endorse Barack Obama for the presidency?
"I thought about voting for Hillary at the beginning. I don't care that she is a woman. I need more than that. Neither his race, his gender, her race or her gender was enough. I needed something else, and the something else was his wisdom."

Read more

No comments: